The Valley County Sheriffs Department has been busy recently, investigating several burglaries in Valley County. According to Valley County Sheriff Dick Wessler,on July 21st the department was alerted to a reported break in at B&B Foods in Nashua. After an investigation, it was reported that the grocery store had been broken in through the front door and several items of liquor and cigarettes were reported missing. Also after further investigation it was discovered that someone had attempted to force open the front door of the Farmers Union Cenex Station in Nashua but that attempt was unsuccessful. That same day someone had also broken in to the Nashua Bowling Alley and Barbershop as the front doors of those two businesses were forced open; nothing was missing in that attempt. All of these burglaries and attempted burglaries are under investigation by the Valley County Sheriffs Department.

On July 23rd, it was reported that the Glasgow Stockyards was burglarized. According to Sheriff Wessler, items were removed from the premises; this burglary is under investigation as well by the Valley County Sheriffs Department.

Wessler also told KLTZ/MIX-93 news that a multi-agency effort was organized on July 15th to investigate alleged drug traffickers on Highway #2. Wessler said that the Sheriffs Office received a complaint at 10am about a vehicle that was driving erratically. After an investigation it was revealed that the two occupants in the vehicle were suspected drug traffickers and a multi-agency, effort was organized to search the vehicle. Wessler said that the Montana Highway Patrol, FBI, Valley County Sheriffs Office, Glasgow Police Department, U.S. Border Patrol and the Drug Task Force were involved in the investigation. After a search warrant was issued the Border Patrol brought in a drug-sniffing dog and the car was searched but no drugs were found in the vehicle. The car was from Washington State and the driver of the car was arrested and charged with no driver license and reckless driving. The man was incarcerated but later was released on bond. The incident took place west of Glasgow.

In one other note for those of you wondering about the flashing traffic light at the intersection by Albertson's and Pizza Hut, travelers will have to wait for a couple of weeks before that light is fixed and the yellow light will stop flashing. According to Dennis Shanks of the Montana Department of Transportation parts have been ordered for the traffic light but they won't be installed for at least two weeks so drivers are urged to use caution w hen approaching that intersection. Back to top
Montana Senator Conrad Burns announced on Thursday that the Senate Water and Power Subcommittee has held a hearing on Burns' bill to authorize the construction and operation of a rural water system in and around the Fort Peck Indian Reservation.

Burns said that the need for a safe and reliable water source is particularly acute on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. In one community, sulfate levels in the water are four times the standard for safe drinking water, and in four communities, iron levels are five times the standard.

The Indian Health Service has been forced to issue several health alerts for drinking water despite the fact the reservation is located near one of the largest manmade reservoirs in the United States. This bill would authorize $163 million to be spent over five years on the development of the water system and would provide water for thousands of people who live on or near the reservation.

The bill has the support of residents of the reservation and the endorsement of the Tribal Council of the Sioux and Assiniboine tribes.

During the hearing, Spike Bighorn testified on behalf of the tribes, and Rick Knick, president of the Dry Prairie Rural Water, testified on behalf of Montana's living near the reservation. The bill must be approved by the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, of which Burns is a member, before it goes before the full Senate for consideration. This water project would provide water for most of northeastern Montana including the City of Glasgow, and towns of Nashua and Opheim. Back to top
Montana Governor Marc Racicot has declared a state of emergency in 32 counties in eastern Montana because of the threat of fire. The Governor’s action authorizes quick use of National Guard Personnel and equipment if incident commanders at existing or new fires in the region request more state help.

All of eastern Montana has been placed under the state of emergency including Valley County along with all surrounding counties. Valley County Sheriff Dick Wessler told KLTZ/MIX-93 news on Wednesday that all open burning has been closed effective immediately. No more permits will be issued for open burning in Valley County due to the dry conditions and because of the Governor’s declaration of emergency.
Hot weather is expected to continue throughout eastern Montana with temperatures expected to get into the 100-degree range across much of the eastern half of the state through the rest of the week. Back to top

In other news regarding the weather, the National Weather Service will be holding a Skywarn Weather Spotter class in Opheim August, 5th at 7pm. According to Kim Bailey of the National Weather Service Office in Glasgow, weather spotters are our eyes away from the weather office. She told KLTZ/MIX-93 that weather spotters provide "ground truth" so they can assess the potential of severe thunderstorms.
Severe weather has affected much of northeast Montana this year with a greater than normal number of tornado touchdowns. One of the most serious tornado occurrences affected the town of Opheim during a series of storms, which hit northeast Montana on June 21. Wind gusts to 92 miles an hour were reported with these storms. (Click to see our online pictures of the tornado damage.)

To have a better understanding of severe weather and how weather information can be obtained will be the subjects at a Skywarn Weather Spotter training class.

Anyone interested in learning more about severe weather or becoming a Skywarn spotter should attend. The presentation consists of videos and slides of tornadoes, hail and high wind weather events. For more information, contact the National Weather Service Office in Glasgow or Greg Speer at the Valley County Disaster and Emergency Services. Back to top


Weekend fires kept Valley County firemen busy: the first fire was called in at 5:51 p.m. Saturday. A lightning caused fire in the area of Fullerton road and Whatley road burned about 15 acres. Long Run trucks were then sent to south Valley County for another lightning caused fire. Two pumpers, two tankers and one utility truck with 10 fireman responded to the fire that was located south of the Stonehouse in the Ridge road area. Estimates are around 700+ acres. Wind made fighting this fire very hard. Gusts of40 to 50 mph were reported in the area. Blowing dirt, embers and smoke made it very hard to see as firefighters and ranchers worked to bring this fire under control.

On Sunday evening, the Long Run Fire Department was called to a fireworks fire west of Glasgow. Six firefighters and three trucks responded.Back to top


(Malta-AP) -- An insurance company is offering a 50-thousand-dollar reward, in connection with a fire last month at a bowling alley in Malta. Financial Pacific Insurance Company says the reward is for information leading to a conviction. The fire June ninth destroyed Mustang Lanes, plus a neighboring barber shop and a tavern. Financial Pacific spokesman Dennis Joyce says a company investigation determined the fire resulted from arson, the same conclusion reached by independent investigators. (Contributed by Greg Kielb, KMMR)Back to top

Negotiators for the Glasgow Education Association and the Glasgow School board met last evening and a tentative agreement has been reached for the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 school years. The member teachers of the GEA and the Glasgow School Board must now ratify this agreement. The teachers will be returning to work August 23rd and will then be presented the information for consideration. The vote will be taken in late August.

Gordon Hahn, chief negotiator for the GEA reports: "There were some minor language changes in the contract but the major changes involves increased flexibility in personal leave and retirement options. Language was added that allows teachers to utilize unused sick leave in retirement planning."

"In terms of salary, there will be no increase on the base pay over the next two years, which will be difficult to swallow since our insurance will go up about $50 per month. About half of our staff will get some increase due to steps and lanes, but many will see no rise the first year. The second year language establishes an additional partial step for those teachers who will not receive an increase due to normal steps and lanes."

"In spite of not having any money to negotiate, I was very please with the progress we made this year. Dr. Wilson, representing the School Board, was very amiable and willing to listen to options. I feel as if communications between the Board and GEA is better than it's been in several years."Back to top

ĘThere were numerous tornado warnings in northeastern areas and softball-sized hail at Glasgow. The National Weather Service says the hail at Glasgow broke windows and windshields but no major structural damage was reporte; no injuries were reported either.

Up to 20 utility poles were snapped 22 miles southeast of Malta, and a storage building on a farm in that area was partially destroyed.

The storms etched an arc, from south of Missoula north into and along the Hi-Line before moving into northwestern North Dakota, with fingers of storm activity along that line. The hail hit at Glasgow at a time when a tornado had been spotted 14 miles west of the city. As the storm moved through, hail the size of tennis balls also was reported to the east at Nashua, and a tornado watch later was posted for Roosevelt County. About 11 pm a funnel cloud was sighted three miles west of Culbertson. Law officers also reported a tornado briefly touched down north of the Missouri River between Brockton and Culbertson--again no damage reported.

Storm Report and More Pix

Construction in Glasgow on the North side storm sewer project and north side water main replacement.
Traffic has been slowed in the area of the Valley County Road Shop as the 52inch-storm sewer pipe is being laid across US #2 in Glasgow.
On the other side of US#2 water main replacement continues.

Wit and wisdom with the common touch tell the story of the early days of radio in Voice of the Prairie, opening this weekend at the Fort Peck Theatre in Fort Peck. In honor of opening weekend, special events have been planned. The opening night performance will be sponsored by First Community Bank, whose employees will be on hand to serve a refreshment during intermission. Following the performance, everyone is invited to meet the cast and crew for refreshments provided by the Fort Peck Hotel, another season sponsor. In addition, the Theatre will offer $1.00 off the price of an admission for anyone bringing a gift of non-perishable food for the food bank.

Voice of the Prairie celebrates a time of itinerant radio when a barnstorming broadcaster could be a one-man radio station. With fascinating characters and heartwarming tales, playwright John Olive weaves an endearing story of a time when people gathered around electric wooden boxes for news and entertainment.
The play’s hero, David Quinn, is an enterprising man who uses his microphone to discover talent and engaging folks to fill the airwaves. He was first a Nebraska farmer and was born with a gift for story telling, much like Mark Twain, or today’s Garrison Keillor. Tales about his experiences with a runaway girl named Frankie, and those of his rather eccentric father show his imagination and wit. These qualities propel him to celebrity.

Telling the story by shifting between 1895 and 1923, the Fort Peck Theatre Company pulls out all the stops for this intriguing and fulfilling production. To do so, artistic director Bobby Gutierrez draws on the talents of each company member, which were so evident in the season’s first production of Fiddler on the Roof.

The cast includes Sean Richards as the elder Quinn, with Peter Hilen taking on the role of Quinn as a youth. Tamara Hampton Wright is cast as the elder Frances Reid and Megan Parker plays the younger Frankie. Ryan Grigg is Leon Schwab, the voice of the prairie. Chorus members are Carly Booth, Jennifer Thomas, Brittiny Hollow and Holly Hamper. Gutierrez plays James, and Jack Sigman plays Poppy, the watermelon man, and Frankie’s father. Charles Elliott continues his duties as musical director and works sound effects.
Company members working behind the scenes are: Aubrey Howeth, stage manager; Brian Harms, scenic designer; Theresa Jenson, assistant scenic designer; Elsie Packee, costume designer; and Aaron Torgerson, lighting designer, assisted by Shawn Newton.

Voice of the Prairie is a production of the Fort Peck Fine Arts Council, Inc., a winner of the 1999 Governor’s Awards for the Arts. This season marks the 30th anniversary of summer productions at the Fort Peck Theatre. Fiddler opened June 25 and it sustained audience numbers 10 percent above last year’s first production.
Voice of the Prairie plays at 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings from July 23 to Aug. 8. Tickets may be purchased at the door, priced at $9 for adults, $8 for seniors and $5 for students. For more information, contact the Theatre at 406-526-9943, and visit their page on the KLTZ site. Back to top

Authorities have released the name of the pilot killed in that plane crash near Opheim last week. 24 year old James Aaron Bourne of Florida was killed last Wednesday as he was crop dusting near Opheim. The plane apparently crashed into a hill and then started on fire.He was the only occupant of the plane.Back to top

The Glasgow City Council met in regular session on Monday night at the Glasgow Civic Center. The city council did hold a public hearing regarding the adoption of a preliminary budget for the city. There were no people showing up either opposing or supporting the preliminary budget. The council has been working on the budget for the last several weeks and has made reductions across the board in every city department.

The city is still waiting for the exact value of property mills from the State of Montana and those might not be available until the middle of August. The city will approve the final budget sometime in August.

The city council also passed a resolution regarding salaries and compensation for all city employees. Before the resolution passed though, Councilwoman Marlene Jackson offered a motion to raise the salaries of city council members by $15 a month. Council member Dan Carney seconded the motion and the motion then came up for discussion. Council member Ed Tipton said he was against the motion saying that if the council was going to raise council salaries they should have done so before the filing deadline for city council, which was July 1st.

After more discussion the motion came up for a vote and Council members Marlene Jackson, Dan Carney and Dan Durrell all voted for the raise in pay for council members. Council members Ky Idler, Myron Malnna and Ed Tipton voted against the raise in salary. That made the vote 3-3 and the tiebreaking vote then went to the Mayor of Glasgow Willie Zeller. Zeller broke the tie by voting for the salary increase for council members. This salary increase does not affect the salary for the mayor, which is $6600 a year. Council members currently earn $300 a month and this increase will push their salary to $315 a month and $3780 per year.Back to top

More severe weather hit northeastern Montana on Sunday night as thunderstorms dropped softball size hail in McCone County. According to the National Weather Service, hail 4.5 inches in diameter was reported on a ranch east of Nelson Creek. Cars and campers were damaged by the hail storm. As of Monday morning, remnants of the hail were still on the ground.Back to top
12 year old Jacob Fassett appeared in court for an omnibus hearing before District Court Judge John Mckeon. Fassett is being charged with conspiracy to commit criminal mischief a felony. These charges relate to an incident that occurred earlier this spring when allegedly Fassett and another Glasgow youth, Evan Hall, made bomb threats at the Glasgow Middle School.

At Monday's omnibus hearing Fassett appeared along with his court appointed attorney Alan Johnson to hear pretrial motions. Valley County Attorney Ken Oster represented the state of Montana. Fassett's attorney, Alan Johnson, informed the court that he would be filing a motion to dismiss the charges against the Glasgow youth. Mckeon told Johnson that the brief challenging the charges against Fassett must be filed by August 9th.

Also discussed at the hearing was setting a date for a trial if the case goes that far. Judge Mckeon set a trial date of November 3rd. Both attorneys agreed on a jury trial and that the trial should last no longer than 2 days. Alan Johnson also informed Judge Mckeon that no negotiations have taken place regarding a plea bargain. Fassett is currently under house arrest with his mother in Choteau, Montana .Back to top

16 year old Jonathan Mainwaring appeared in District Court on Monday making initial appearance before District Court Judge John Mckeon. Mainwaring did appear in court on July 6th when Judge Mckeon appointed Public Defender Alan Johnson to defend him. He is facing charges relating to an incident that occurred June 26th at 618 4th avenue south in Glasgow.
According to the Valley County Attorney, Mainwaring severely beat Glasgow resident Randy Detienne after finding him in a bedroom with Mainwaring's mother, Jean Mainwaring. Glasgow Police Officer Bruce Barstad testified Monday that the Glasgow Police Department was called to the Mainwaring residence by Jean Mainwaring and after arriving at the scene found Randy Detienne lying on a bed with injuries to his head. Barstad also testified that the investigating officers also found blood on the walls of the bedroom and on the bed itself. During the investigation that evening Barstad said that Jonathan Mainwaring appeared at the residence and turned himself in to the police. Since that time, Mainwaring has been in custody first in Poplar and now at the Yellowstone County Youth Service Center in Billings.
The hearing on Monday was to determine whether Mainwaring should be tried in District Court or in Youth Services Court. After hearing arguments from both the defense attorney and Valley County Attorney Ken Oster, District Court Judge John Mckeon ordered that Mainwaring stand trial in District Court and he also set bail at $25,000. Until bail is posted, Mainwaring is to be held in Billings at the Yellowstone County Youth Services Center.
When Mainwaring made his first appearance in District Court, he was being charged with aggravated assault, a felony. However, since that time the alleged victim of the crime, Randy Detienne died in a Billings hospital. Valley County Attorney Ken Oster then filed an amended petition changing the charges to deliberate homicide and aggravated assault, both felonies. Valley County Sheriff Dick Wessler testified at the hearing that an autopsy was conducted after Randy Detienne died and the forensic pathologist who conducted the autopsy filed a report that Detienne died of an anoxic brain injury due to respiratory head trauma from beating. Mainwaring will next appear in court on August 2nd at 10am for arraignment. Back to top

A tragedy in the Opheim area on Wednesday as a supercub airplane crashed and took the life of a 24-year-old out-of state male.

According to Valley County Sheriff Dick Wessler the Sheriffs Department was advised of the crash at 11:30am Wednesday morning when persons spotted smoke on the horizon near a location that the airplane had been spraying crops. The ambulance service from Opheim responded and found the 24 year old male dead at the scene. According to Wessler it appears the plane crashed into a hill and then started on fire. The fatality was the only occupant on the plane and was spraying crops for a spraying company from Colorado.

Wessler told KLTZ/KLAN that the Department of Transportation, the Federal Aviation Administration and the Department of Agriculture would all be on the scene of the accident on Thursday investigating. The victim's name has not yet been released pending notification of relatives. Back to top
The Montana Highway Patrol and the Valley County Sheriffs Department were involved in a high speed chase Tuesday evening involving 29 year old Glasgow resident Troy Norheim.

According to Valley County Sheriff Dick Wessler the Montana Highway Patrol attempted to pull over S-10 pickup east of Nashua when the single occupant in the vehicle made a run for it heading towards Nashua. Wessler told KLTZ/KLAN news that the pickup was traveling at speeds of 100 miles per hour on highway two while being chased by highway patrol officers.

The vehicle approached Nashua, turned into the town, and traveled four blocks before being turned into a hedge of a residence in Nashua. The pickup became disabled and the occupant made a run for it going about a block before hiding under a parked vehicle. The officers pulled him from under the vehicle and arrested him and charged him with driving under the influence, attempt to elude a peace officer and obstructing a peace officer.

29 year old Troy Norheim appeared in Justice Court on Wednesday afternoon and pleaded guilty to the charges of eluding a peace officer and obstructing a peace officer. Judge Linda Mogan sentenced Norheim to a $540 fine and 20 days in jail. However, Norheim did plead not guilty to the charge of D.U.I and will have to go to trial on that charge. Troy Norheim currently is residing in the Valley County jail. Back to top

The Glasgow school board met in regular session Wednesday evening and spent most of their time discussing the ongoing retrofit at the Glasgow High School. The architect for the project, Keith Myhre, updated the board on the progress of the construction at the school. He told the board that the installation of the bleachers is now 80 percent complete and by the end of the week should be close to 90 percent finished; the new red bleachers should be completely installed by the end of July.

The new hallway and locker room lockers will be installed starting in August and should be finished by the time school starts at the end of August. The remodeling of the locker rooms should be completed by the time school starts but will not be finished in time for the start of football, girls basketball and cross country practices. Those three sports will have to make alternate arrangements for locker room space until the locker rooms are completed.
The one project that is way behind schedule is the track resurfacing project which was scheduled to be completed by the start of the new school year in August. It appears now that the board will be putting off the track project until next summer. This means the current track surface will have to last one more year.

The reason for the postponement is the lack of a paving company in the area to take off the old track surface and put a new overlay of asphalt. Century Paving Company has bid on the project but it appears that they would have to charge the district an extra $15,000 in mobilization costs to come to Glasgow to do the job.

The only other paving company that will be in the area won't be in Glasgow until the end of September and that would be too late to finish the track job which needs warm weather for the track to be completed correctly. The board then decided to put off the track resurfacing project until next year and Century Paving told the board that they could complete the job sometime after school is dismissed next May or June.

The board though would still have to pay the $15,000 mobilization charge to Century because at this time there are no other paving jobs scheduled for next year. As of now the track resurfacing project is expected to cost $129,882 which is much higher then the original lump sum target price of $100,000.

As of now, though, the retrofit project is under budget, with the expected cost of all the projects at 1 million dollars while the bond issue that the taxpayers approved was for $1.115 million dollars.

After spending over an hour and a half on the retrofit project the board did move on to other business including approving the contract for new Glasgow school superintendent Glenn Monson. Monson will earn $60,000 this school year. The board also approved a raise for school district clerk Kelly Doornek; she received a raise of $1500 and will now earn $27,500 in her second year on the job as school district clerk.
The board also awarded the contract for school pictures to Lifetouch Photography of Billings.Back to top
A district court jury last week found that a Glasgow woman was not negligent in a sledding accident that took place January 27th, 1995.

Traci Sanders, the mother of Damien Sanders, had filed a lawsuit against Mary Nyquist7 the city of Glasgow and Valley County over the incident in which her son was killed by a car driven by Mary Nyquist over four years ago.
In the lawsuit Sanders was asking for past and future general and special damages to be determined at the trial. She was also seeking costs of the lawsuit, reasonable attorney fees, for such other, further relief as the court deemed proper, and just.

The district court jury convened for a short time before coming back with the verdict that Nyquist, City of Glasgow and Valley County were not negligible in the tragic death.

The lawsuit charged that Nyquist failed to drive in a careful and prudent manner to endanger the life of other persons and she was operating her 1992 Chevrolet truck at an unsafe rate of speed. It also charged that she failed to be vigilant and exercise due care and proper precaution upon observing children playing near the roadway.

The suit also charged that the City of Glasgow and Valley County were negligent because both governments knew that the hillside and sledding trail used by the children was used frequently and they should have known that the use of the sledding trails created a dangerous situation. The suit charged that the city and county negligently failed to exercise reasonable and ordinary care to keep the area reasonably safe by erecting a barrier or warning signs.

The accident occurred on January 27, 1995, when Damien Sanders and another youth were sledding down a trail on Glasgow's Cemetery Road when they came off the trail and were hit by a vehicle driven by Mary Nyquist. Sanders was killed and the other youth injured in the accident. After an investigation by the Glasgow Police Department and the Montana Highway Patrol, they found that Nyquist was not at fault for the accident and she was not given a citation.

Jury heard the trial and District Court Judge David Cybulski of Plentywood was the presiding judge.Back to top
  Brian Schweitzer, the only announced Democratic candidate to run against Senator Conrad Burns in the fall of 2000, was in Glasgow again this week. In a KLTZ/KLAN interview, he discussed options for gaining more money for the Fort Peck recreation area and the Fort Peck Dam Interpretive Center and Museum. The Interpretive Center has already received $6 million in federal funds, and the fish hatchery will rely on federal funding as well.
Schweitzer noted that the funding already in place is a good start. But he argued that the area is under-utilized, saying that a great deal of farm land is under the lake. He blamed the government for not doing the right thing with the area. Schweitzer said that the government hasn’t developed recreation in the years since the dam was created, and owes the area some investment. Back to top
Golf-ball size hail blasted northeastern Montana Monday night, pounding Polplar and other outlying areas. The storms ripped paint off houses, shattered windows and destroyed crops.

Ann O’Brien says she’s lived in Poplar for 40 years and that was the worst storm she’d seen. She noted it took out windows on the north side of many buildings.

A National Weather Service spokesman says at least one funnel cloud, possibly two, also were spotted in the area, but none touched down.

The storms started about 6pm Monday and lasted about 2 hours, damaging areas in Richland, southwest Daniels and central and eastern Roosevelt counties.
No damage estimates were available as of Tuesday morning.Back to top